Tuesday 18 March 2008

18.03.08: Persian lambchops

Inspired by some lucky finds in a little Persia of Putney, She developed a spice marinade for grilled lambchops including a pulverized whole dried lime, cumin, turmeric, chili flakes, fenugreek, kosher salt, pepper and olive oil. Saffron brown basmati rice studded with barberries plus purple sprouting broccoli sauteed in the chop drippings filled in the plate, while a salad of manchego shavings, granny smith apple slices and mixed leaves waited crisply nearby.

SHE SAYS: The chops had excellent flavour, though next time I won't be so shy with the dried lime - I was afraid more than a tablespoon might make the marinade too sour. I don't know when I'll learn that I just don't care for saffron - even the delight of the tarty little barberries didn't offset my disappointment. The broccoli had the texture of asparagus and the taste of mustard greens (not to mention the spiced pan juices) - a distinct brocca pleasure. The refreshing apple slivers played off the nutty manchego perfectly...a nifty salad combination.

HE SAYS: Loved the lambchops, cooked perfectly with a pink centre and seasoned well. Thought the broccoli was very nice sauteed instead of traditionally boiled to death. I think I like the rice more than She did; the saffron reminded me to look into cooking up some paella soon. Enjoyed the salad, the apples were crisp and zingy, and the manchego cheese was very moreish.

No comments: